Joy Ike plays a Guerrilla Showcase. Photo by Neale Eckstein
Please keep an eye on this page in early 2020 for updates. Guerrilla Showcases are presented by conference attendees in hotel rooms on a designated floor of the hotel. They start at 10:30 p.m. following the Folk DJ Showcase on Thursday night and 11:45 p.m. following the Semi-formal Showcases on Friday and Saturday nights, typically running until 3 a.m. We also have Friday and Saturday afternoon showcases from 2 – 5 p.m. Hosts put together a lineup of artists they would like to present for the evening, typically assigning 10-20 minute slots, for one artist or several artists “in the round”, the format is up to the host. Guerrilla Showcases are acoustic ONLY. No amplification devices are permitted. Exemptions to this rule for instruments such as electronic keyboards must be approved on a case-by-case basis.
HOSTING A Guerrilla Showcase
Guerrilla Showcases will take place on the 2nd floor and are primarily in guest rooms and suites. Each individual room is contracted out to a Guerrilla Showcases Presenter who in turn books and schedules performances of registered conference attendees. Anyone can apply to become a Guerrilla Showcase Presenter (examples: labels, organizations, agents, artists, etc). Applications will be open soon.
Room hosts are required to book a room for the whole conference.
Presenters must pay a US$25 per showcase slot hosting fee. All application fees are non-refundable. This fee is separate from the cost of the room, chair rental, and conference registration.
- Regular Guest Room – USD$126/night
- Guest Suite please message firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and pricing.
*Suites are only available to presenters who have hosted a room in the past and are first offered to those who hosted the previous year. A waitlist is managed by the Guerrilla Showcases Coordinator.
Other Optional Fees
- Chairs – $5/each chair
Performing in a Guerrilla Showcase
Guerrilla Showcases are late night events . They start at 10:30 p.m. following the Folk DJ Showcase on Thursday night and 11:45 p.m. following the Semi-formal Showcases on Friday and Saturday nights, typically running until 3 a.m. We also have Friday and Saturday afternoon showcases from 2 – 5 p.m. Each conference attendee can grab a Pocket Guide that lists all Private Showcase performances or view the schedule on our conference app.
Guerrilla Showcases are acoustic (no amplification or sound systems in standard rooms, with limited sound in the suites and premium rooms) and run from 15-30 minutes depending on the presenter. Some presenters charge a nominal fee to help underwrite the costs of the room and hospitality. Many do not charge and some trade slots for performance slots in other rooms. Please contact our office at email@example.com if you have any questions about the process.
Tips for Getting a Guerrilla Showcase
- Research the Guerrilla Showcase Presenter list (updated weekly starting mid-August), find the host’s contact info using your internet prowess, and send a direct, personal email (not bulk!).
- Your personal email should be concise and include the same info as the forum post: link to video, short bio, and contact info. You should also include how many people are in your band, and your geographic location.
- Start early! Rooms fill up fast and any available space is filled quickly.
- Artists are encouraged to post to the NERFA Talk Facebook page. Your post should include a live video clip (of the act which will be performing at the conference), a short bio, and contact info. FAI members can access NERFA Talk HERE.
Questions? Contact our Guerrilla Showcase Coordinator, Jess Razzi.